Long, long ago on a January day in 2017, I made seventeen count-down resolutions for the New Year and promised to let you know how I did.
So here it is, the final reckoning:
17. Find seventeen geocaches this year. Found! However, I have to confess that I shamefully procrastinated in completing this task, locating the final seven a mere two days before the end of the year.
16. Rid our home of sixteen pieces of “stuff.” Yes, done by April!
15. Spend at least fifteen minutes a day writing. Fail. As a writer, I continued to excel in 2017 at finding many, many excuses not to write.
14. Give away garden gifts (seeds, starts, veggies, jams, etc) to fourteen people. Easy peasy, especially once the harvest kicked into high gear (zucchini, anyone?) and our new chickens started laying five to six eggs a day.
13. Try thirteen new recipes. Cooked it! The (mostly-uncomplicated) recipes were: coconut shrimp curry, chicken schwarma, Greek yogurt pancakes, spring rolls with shrimp and avocado, homemade pie crust, braised leeks, roasted eggplant dip, herb rolls, eyeball cookies, figs in wine sauce, Instant pot Greek yogurt, lemon chicken soup, and queso blanco.
12. Write twelve blogs. Ugh. Not even close. See #15.
11. Complete eleven arts and crafts projects. Done! Projects included some paintings and drawings, two knitted headbands, an autumn wreath made from nuts and seeds, and a Halloween Alien facehugger constructed of wire, paper, and glue.
10. Discover ten new places. Yes! These included new breweries, restaurants, a new museum, and a couple of cool old mining towns in Nevada.
9. Go for nine bike rides just for the fun of it. Only did six, which is just sad.
8. Implement eight ways to make our farm more wildlife-friendly. Three out of eight is, well, progress. We planted hazelnut trees as food for birds, pussy willow shrubs for the bees to dine on, and set up a couple of new bird baths.
7. Meditate seven days a week. Hahahahahahahaha. No.
6. Plant six new vegetable varieties in my garden. Yep! This year we experimented with sugar baby watermelon, lemon basil, purple bok choy, padron peppers, watercress, and a new lettuce mixture.
5. Teach five people how to make no-knead bread. Well, four out of five isn’t toooo bad.
4. Hike four new trails. Nope, stuck with the old ones.
3. Speak my mind three times when I normally would keep quiet. It was difficult and uncomfortable, but I did it. Yay, me!
2. Learn two new skills or crafts. Done! Brett and I learned (and fell in love with) basic East Coast swing dancing/lindy hop last year, and we’re hoping to learn some more intermediate moves this year. I also overcame my Instant Pot phobia somewhat, learning to use it to make yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, soup, and a few other dishes.
1. Run/Walk one marathon. Sadly, a surprise surgery and some annoying foot issues interfered with my training program. But you know what they say: if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again–and I plan to.
And there you have it. Thanks again to bloggers Murtaugh’s Meadow and Nanacatthydotcom who introduced me to this more enjoyable, achievable and procrastinator-friendly way of making–and keeping–New Year’s Resolutions. I liked it so much that I’m going to get to work on my 18 for 2018 next.
Who’s with me?
Happy New Year!
How did you do on your 2017 resolutions?
Thanks for reading~